I love entertaining.The idea of a perfect weekend for me is inviting a bunch of friends and cooking for them.Last night we did just that.A lovely evening spent catching up with wonderful friends.
I wanted to complement my thai chicken curry with a nice spicy red one.Have been wanting to try out the Indonesian Rendang for quite some time now.So decided to go ahead with it.Most recipes on the net called for the use of a ready rendang paste,which despite having looked around was not available here.I often don’t like to replicate a recipie.It’s great fun to actually play around with the ingredients and com up with a concoction of your own.That’s exactly what I did while making this wonderful Meat Rendang.
Now my husband is from Goa and I’ve mastered the use of cooking with coconut in curries be it fish,meat or chicken..So I went along with a coconut curry paste that I would usually make for my Goan curries with of course the addition of the galangal,lemon grass and thai red chillies.
My Own version of Rendang paste:
- 11/2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 stalks lemon grass(white parts only,finely chopped)
- 1 inch pc galangal(finely chopped)
- 3 small thai red chilies(finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic(minced)
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soya sauce
- Heat a pan and dry roast the grated coconut until golden brown.
- Remove this and keep it aside.In the same pan
- Dry roast the fennel and coriander seeds.Let this cool and then dry grind into a fine powder.
- In a small grinder mince together the galangal,garlic thai red chillies and lemon grass.
- Now the final step is to put together this paste.Mix all of the above ingredients together along with a half a cup of water and grind into a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with a little oil and fry this paste for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and the light soya sauce.
For The Meat Rendang:
- 11/2 kg boneless meat(lamb or beef)
- 3-4 medium onions(finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- Rendang paste
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1 tin coconut milk
- salt to taste
- Kaffir lime leaves for garnish
- Heat a little oil and fry the onions til brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry a bit more.
- Next add the meat and fry for about 15 minutes on a high flame.
- Now add water enough to cob=ver the meat and let this cook on a slow flame till the meat is tender.This will take at least and hour.
- Once the meat is cooked add the rendang paste to it.
- Stir in the tamarind pulp.this will impart a nice dark colour to the Meat rendang.
- Lastly add the coconut milk and let it simmer till the curry thickens.
- Garnish with kaffir lime leaves and serve with some jasmine rice.
A delicious wholesome meat Rendang…Please do try this out.a tip on the rendang paste:You could make this much in advance as it freezes well.
Thanks for reading my post dear friends and cheers to happy times always…
With much love…