This delicious dip is a popular selection of mezze served with most Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. A mix of the simplest of ingredients which include roasted eggplant,Tahini (sesame paste),minced garlic,lemon juice and olive oil.Put these together and you have a delightful accompaniment which goes really well with grilled meats,crisp pita bread or even just some chopped vegetables.
My original recipe takes on a wonderful twist by the addition of some crumbled feta and sumac.
This one’s a winner. How about giving it a try?
- 2 Medium eggplants (roasted, peeled and mashed)
- 2 tbsp. ml tahina(recipe below or store-bought)
- 25 ml lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic(minced)
- 2 tablespoon olive Oil
- Chopped parsley
- sprinkling of sumac (optional)salt to taste
1.Mash the roasted eggplant.
2.add in the olive oil, salt ,minced garlic and lemon juice.
3.Mix well and add in the tahini.
4.Drizzle with some more olive oil.
5.Garnish with crumbled feta and sprigs of parsley…Serve with crisp pita.
Ingredients for Tahini Paste:
1 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil and/or a small amount of sesame oil (plus 1 tablespoon extra)
Directions for Tanini Paste:
- Heat a clean heavy bottom pan over medium high heat and add the sesame seeds.
- Once they’re toasted, let them cool a few minutes then add them to a food processor.
- Start by adding 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then add one more tablespoon of olive oil to get a better consistency.
- Makes a little less than ¾ cup tahini paste, depending on how much olive oil you use.