How’s the summer treating you? Kind and cool I hope….While I prefer the heat over cold wintry days any day, the summer month’s here in Mumbai have been sweltering hot.Perhaps most of you would agree that the last thing on one’s mind is cooking in the heat.
Well the dear son is here on his holidays from Montreal and yes I’ve been pampering him with his favourite meals.He often hear’s me complain about the heat and of course the eternal debate on what to cook for dinner! I for one have been trying to simply meal times at home. At least the dinner’s. A couple of posts ago I wrote about focussing on easy and fuss free cooking ideas.This dinner idea is just that.A oven grilled boneless chicken accompanied with the starchy goodness of some Hasselback Potatoes and a healthful serving of pan charred Zucchini and carrots. Well balanced,nutritious and gets done in just about 30 minutes.Yes that’s my new kitchen mantra.Well for the summer’s at least.
So how’s that for an ultra quick and family friendly recipe that’s light and refreshing and one that can just as well become a part of your weeknight repertoire? Do share some of your easy meal ideas here.I would love to hear from you.
For The Chicken:
- 300 grams Boneless Chicken( cubed)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon thick cream or hung yogurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2-3 pods garlic (chopped finely)
- Hand full of Rosemary or Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
1.Marinate the boneless cubes of chicken in olive oil,cream,salt,pepper and minced garlic along with some chilli flakes.
2.Lay the cubes on a grill pan and bake for about 25 minutes at 180C.
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- Few pods of garlic crushed
- Crushed Rosemary or thyme
- Heat the oven to 200 C.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes well and dry them
- Make slits in the potatoes across the width ensuring that you do not cut to the bottom
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brush generously with butter or olive oil.Add in the garlic pods,rosemary and thyme around the potatoes.
- Lay the potatoes on well oiled baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes, gently separating the layers.
- You may add some melted butter between the layers.
- Bake further for about 20 minutes till the potatoes are crisp and cooked.
For Zucchini and carrots:
1.Slice the Zucchini and carrots into rounds. Par boil the carrots for about 10 minutes.
2.Drizzle a grill pan with some olive oil and lay the rounds on the pan.Grill on each side for a couple of minutes till grill marks appear.