This is one of my favorite salads. It has a lovely crisp bite to it.
With summer at its peak and the temperatures soaring high there are times when just a fresh salad can be so refreshing and satisfying.
I’ve adapted this from my usual Thai Papaya salad that I make. The carrots used are a good variation and add a nice crunch to this salad. The kiwi fruit give this salad a burst of flavor and add a great Zing to it.
Of late I’ve been receiving a lot of gorgeous Kiwi fruit. All thanks to Zespri for their kind gesture. Well naturally I’ve been testing out various recipes using Kiwi. This salad went off really well with the Thai chicken curry I made for dinner a couple of nights ago.
|Some fun facts about Kiwi Apart from being high in vitamin C It’s quite unusual for a low-fat food, let alone a fruit, to be a good source of vitamin E. However, kiwifruit is a great low-fat natural source of vitamin E, which is well-known for its heart health and antioxidant properties.Rich in Folate: Kiwifruit is a natural source of folate which women take to help prevent neural defects in their unborn babies. It also assists in brain and cognitive development in children and combats cardiovascular disease. Folate is so important many countries are considering adding it to flour or bread to ensure the population consumes sufficient amounts.
High in Potassium: A kiwifruit has about the same level of potassium as a banana – but only half the calories. This makes kiwifruit an excellent low-sodium option to access potassium, which is potentially beneficial for heart health and in the maintenance of blood pressure.
This salad is fairly simple to put together and great to eat just by itself too.
- 1 small green papaya (peeled and shredded)
- 1 small carrot (grated)
- 1 Zespri Kiwi fruit (sliced)
- 2 Thai red chilies
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- handful of crushed peanuts
- coriander for garnish
- Peel the outer skin of the raw papaya and grate it.
- Add the grated carrot to this and mix well.
- Add in the sliced kiwi fruit
- Use either a mortar and pestle or a small food processor to grind the garlic and the red chilies together
- Now add the fish sauce and the lime juice to the above mix.
- Add this dressing to the raw salad just before serving.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts and chopped fresh coriander for garnish
For more information on Kiwi from Zespri do check out their website: www.Zespri.com