My kitchen has a sweet fragrance of ripened green and golden delicious Kiwi’s.
Thanks to Zespri Arabia who have been providing me with boxes of this wonderful fruit. I baked a whole batch of these gorgeous fairy cakes over the weekend.I actually used a loose bottom cheesecake mould for baking these delightful little wonders.
The base is made from a gluten-free self-raising flour.I usually like using Dove brand.A lovely twist is the addition of pureed green kiwi into the batter that lends just a hint of flavor to these cakes.
Now the cakes do tend to rise and develop a muffin top as usual .I’ve just gone ahead and trimmed the tops off and sliced them in the center.
I’ve used some dream whip between the slices and as the topping as well. The sliced green Kiwi and some mint gives this easy dessert a gorgeous look. wouldn’t you agree…Go ahead and make some right away.
- 150 grams Gluten free Self raising flour
- 125 grams sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 medium green Zespri Kiwi (peeled and pureed)
- 4 tablespoons water
- Lightly grease the loose bottom cheesecake pan or a muffin mould.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C.
- In a bowl beat together the sugar,oil and vanilla.
- Now add the pureed kiwi mixture to the above.
- Add the flour and water and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for about 30 minutes or till done.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cakes on a wire rack
- Once cooled slice off the top and cut the cakes into halves.
- Spread some prepared dream whip.
- Top up with dream whip and sliced kiwi.
- Garnish with some fresh mint.
- These cakes do turn out a bit dense compared to a regular sponge cake
- They are gluten free and dairy free except for the use of the dream whip which may be omitted all together.
Kiwi fruit supplied by courtesy of Zespri Arabia