This is total comfort food for me. Especially after a hectic week in the kitchen with cooking workshops and recipe testing.
The inner foodie in me craves simple and soul food.. Sprouted and curried Moong or better know as Moogachi Usal in Maharastra. This delicacy can be made with any beans such as Moong or red beans commonly known as matki in India. Generally the beans are soaked in water and allowed to sprout. The sprouted beans are stir fried along with onions, spices and curry leaves in oil. Little water is put to cook the sprouts or alternatively the sprouted beans could be parboiled in water in advance.
I’m reminded of the magic beans in ” Jack in the Bean Stalk”.These beans once soaked over night seems to sprout quite like magic the next day.The best way to sprout them is drain off the water and wrap the Moong in a kitchen towel and keep them covered with a lid on in a warm dark place.The kitchen oven works great for me. They sprout in about a couple of days depending on the warmth and humidity in your kitchen.
This week I wanted to introduce some clean eating into our routines and what better way than to start with some sprouted Moong. The process of sprouting increases the nutritional value of food. Double the amount of Vitamin B and much easier to digest as well.
Here is an easy recipe for Sprouted & Curried Moong beans:
- 2 cups sprouted Moong beans ( parboiled in water for about 15-20 minutes or till soft)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 pods garlic (smashed)
- 1-2 green chilies (chopped into halves)
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Coconut
- Fresh Coriander for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan.
- Now add in the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Next add in the asafoetida and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Now add in the chopped onions and fry till transparent.
- Next add the turmeric powder, chili powder and the coriander powder.
- Mix well and add in the chopped ginger and green chilies.
- Once the above is fried well add in the boiled sprouted Moong and give it a good stir.
- Lastly add the salt.
- garnish with freshly grated coconut and chopped coriander.
- Squeeze some lemon juice before serving.