The kitchen is the heart of your home. Now if you love cooking just the way I do I’m sure you would agree with this. It is your space to recreate a magical recipe or experiment with another or perhaps follow one that has been handed down from one generation to another. A very warm welcome into my kitchen dear readers and here is a recipe for a Goan Prawn Curry.A recipe handed down by my mother-in-law and one that I treasure.
It has over the years become my to go Curry and a family favorite too.
I learned to cook fish with my Mother in-law patiently explaining me the process while she cooked, while I hurriedly jotted down the notes. Now this was a couple of decades ago when I was a newly wed. I still have all those yellowed notebooks with hand written recipes. Most of them seem na o brainer now as I seem to have mastered the art of Goan Cooking, being married to my through breed Goan husband and a finicky one that too. Well at least he is one when it comes to cooking fish the Goan way.
I still treasure those notebooks though .Some pages seem frayed and tattered and some still legible. While I seldom need to look at this recipe as I’ve been cooking it for years now ,I thought it would be the perfect one for my blog post.
The curry uses simple ingredients of fresh prawns, onions, garlic paste and a paste made up of freshly grated coconut,red chilies and roasted coriander seeds. It is a wonderful,l tangy and flavorful curry and best served with rice.
With Love From my Kitchen to yours…
- 250-300 grams medium Prawns ( De-shelled and deveined)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
To be ground to a fine paste:
- 100 grams fresh grated Coconut
- 4-6 Red chilies (preferably Bedgi)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2-4 pods garlic
- 1 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
- a small ball of tamarind
- Wash the prawns under water and marinate with a pinch of turmeric and chili powder and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients under the paste mixture with a little water.
- Heat some coconut Oil in a pan and add the Onions and fry till medium brown.
- Add the prawns and mix well. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or till prawns are cooked.
- Add the ground mixture and fry for a minute.
- Now add sufficient water to make it a medium thickish curry consistency.
- Serve with rice.
Great blog and recipe.
Thanks very much for commenting and stopping by:))
No problem it looks great!
God Bless U Shy. I have made it in the past but will try out your recipe. >
Thanks Yasmin…yes sure do try it out:))
Love your recipes Shy and this one makes me mouth-watering! 😉
Thanks Linda…yes this is my MIL’s recipe and now I too cook it often:)
My mother loves trying new prawn recipes so i will bookmark this for her. 🙂
It seems simple yet delish.
Also, I’ve an invite for us all. It’s a #WeeklyChallenge for #FoodBlogger to encourage genuine blog appreciation (not just empty likes).
Please visit http://wp.me/p6c369-10 to participate & know more.
Thanks so much for stopping by and I do hope your mother will try out this recipe:))