I discovered Rucola and must say it was love at first taste.Such a burst of wonderful flavours…Aromatic,nutty almost bitter and peppery at times.
And so I decided I must grown a whole bunch this winter.Quite a hardy plant.You could just sow the seeds in a row…They do best in spring to summer.Grown best under filtered sunlight compared to direct as the sun in UAE could be really strong.
This plant sure grows fast and in no time I tons of it for “Many a salad days”
Last night I paired this lovely salad with some pan seared Goats Cheese and dressed it with a balsamic vinaigerette.You could add Cherry tomatoes( I choose just regular ones),black olives,capers….I l like to keep the flavours simple as the Rucola in itself is pretty powerful.
This delightful salad can be served along with a Pasta or even some grilled chicken.
Another great dressing if you like is a nice one with honey and some Dijon Mustard…This would add some more kick to the already hot Rucola…also known as Rocket or Arugula.I love to add the capers in this as it gives the salad a nice crunch…even toasted nuts …pine nuts,walnuts would be a great addition.
I’ve used some ready store-bought Goats cheese here…Love the variety of flavours..basil cheese,plain and pepper…
Add this cheese to a hot frying pan and let it warm up slightly.Turn around once till both sides are slightly brown…
- 2 cups Rucola leaves,rinsed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes of plain ones
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 3 small rounds of flavoured goats cheese
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese(optional)
- Gently rinse the Rucola leaves and pat dry them.
- Place them on a flat dish.
- Heat a non stick pan and gently warm the goats cheese till both sides are light brown in colour.
- For the dressing mix the olive oil,balsamic vinegar ,salt,pepper and capers together.
- Drizzle over the salad.
Best eaten when the Goats cheese is warm…..Enjoy and thanks for reading my post.