I recently took on a 14 day Kiwi challenge which is being promoted by Kiwi supplier Zespri. The challenge required me to consume two Kiwi fruit everyday for a period of 14 days and note down the benefits of this during this period.
As a matter of fact I quite love Kiwi fruit and eat it fairly often. So the challenge seemed to be a great one to take on and well-timed too. I’ve been planning a weight loss challenge for a bit now. Apart for the a rigorous exercise regime I also wanted to start off on a fruit diet for breakfast. Some sort of Eat clean and Detox plan.
And thus began this challenge of eating two Kiwi fruit everyday. I started off with one in the morning and the other later in the day. I must say I felt absolutely energized and fabulous. More so it seemed to have kick started my weight loss plan. Now while Kiwi may not directly burn fat it has a very high percentage of dietary fiber which aids weight loss. Further more a single Kiwi has just 56 calories…The perfect fruit to snack on.
This wonderful fruit also has a low glycemic index ranked at just 47 and keeps the sugar levels stable. I feel really motivated as I lost about 2 kilograms of stubborn weight and feel really great.
Friends have noticed a glow on my face and that’s no surprise as this superfood is loaded with Vitamin C which is required by the body to produce collagen which gives skin the youthful glow and firmness. I’d say Kiwi is probably nature’s own Multi vitamin A powerhouse of rich nutrients.
Some More Fun facts About Kiwi fruit
- Kiwi fruit can improve the function of the immune system as it helps ward off effects of stress, inflammation and attack from bacteria and viruses.
- Kiwifruit are great to relieve that bloated and blocked feeling as it is a natural digestive aid.
- It is also very high in antioxidants and other phytochemicals that fight damage caused by free radicals and oxidative stress.
- It is also rich in other vitamins like Vitamin E, folate and potassium.
Kiwi Pyramid and Fun facts Source: www.Zespri.com
So to sum it up Kiwifruit consistently rank at the top of fruit in nutrition density models which tell us exactly how nutritious food is. That means you get more vitamins and minerals per gram, and per calorie, of kiwifruit than most other fruit. While my favorite way of having Kiwifruit is to just slice it. Here are some other great ways to have this wonderful fruit.
- Freshly sliced Kiwi fruit is a great way to jump-start your day
- Dice them up into a salad and add a twist.
- Add in some kiwi to yogurt, blend it and make a wonderful smoothie or here is one of the family favorites.
Fluffy Kiwi Pancakes (6-8)
Ingredients:• 1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
• 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 cup Milk
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons melted butter
• 1 medium kiwi (pureed)
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. Add in the pureed kiwi fruit.
2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Go ahead and start with a Kiwi a day or perhaps two …A bite at a time pays to enjoy delicious kiwi everyday and you will see the benefits…in just 14 days…I sure did!
Disclaimer: I took on this challenge as part of the Zespri Arabia campaign. The program I followed and the benefits are purely my own. Please consult a physician before going on any fruit based or detox plans.
Furthermore while most content and photographs are my own some of the images and written matter has been adapted from the Zespri website under prior approval.
You may want to learn more about Zespri on :www.facebook.com/ZespriArabia
I love Kiwis, but couldn’t imagine taking up the challenge for 14 days!!!
It was a fun challenge…I spaced out eating the two kiwis over the day…Felt amazing and full of energy.I can certainly say that it has helped me with my weight loss challenge….Kiwis are high in fibre and a great way to kickstart your metabolism:))
Hey I also took the 14 day challenge and totally agree ! I was having 1 during the afternoon low and noticed it would pick me up and also kept me humming away without the sugar crash! A trip to New Zealand would be very refreshing 🙂
The Zespri Kiwi challenge was fabulous…what more I’m hooked onto Kiwi fruit now!!!