This bright and super flavourful dip is a show stopper and a crowd pleaser for sure.Smoky flavours of roasted red bell peppers combined with a hint of garlic,a burst of lemon juice and olive oil mingle together to make up this delightful Middle Eastern Mezze. If your taste buds are sharp enough you will detect the slightly coarse texture that is brought about by the addition of breadcrumbs and coarsely ground walnuts.
This classic dip traces its origins to Aleppo Syria,and now a popular accompaniment with most Levantine cuisine.
A key ingredient that lends a vibrant colour to this dip is Pomegranate Molasses.I do believe the brilliant red tones and the tartness of this deeply flavoured Muhamarra ,lies in the addition of the molasses.I’ve been impatient to make this for quite awhile now and glad that I went ahead and made some.
Verdict: I was very pleased with the outcome in terms of the texture and flavours. It works well as a summer dip served along with crisp pita chips, or even an assortment of grilled vegetables and meats.Can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. All though ensure you bring the dip to room temperature before serving. You could even drizzle some olive oil over the dip and garnish with some fresh pomegranate seeds before serving.
It’s now a favourite at our place! Go ahead throw a party and celebrate!
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (Roasted)
- 30 grams walnuts (crushed coarsely and toasted)
- 30 grams breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons Pomegranate Molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Dash of lemon juice
- Dash of Balsamic vinegar
- Dash of brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 200 C. Lay the washed red peppers on a baking tray and drizzle with some oil. Roast them for about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the charred skin and de seed the peppers.Using a mortar and pestle,crush the peppers to a pulpy mass.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs,garlic,paprika,chilli flakes and cumin in a mixer.
- Add the above to the red bell pepper mixture.
- Mix well and add in the pomegranate molasses,lemon juice,salt vinegar and brown sugar.
- Add in the ground walnuts.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.