This fragrant rice usually conjures up an image of a Laksa Noodle soup.However on a recent trip to Singapore I discovered a ready sauce called Laksa Fried Rice.I call this rice my weekday comfort food.Easy to put together and could be had with a stir fry or even just by itself.Deli sh to say the least.
Interestingly the meaning of LAKSA is not clear.Some date it to perhaps and Indian or Persian origin.LAKHSHAH-which translates into “One Hundred Thousand(lakh) or the Chinese meaning would simply be”Spicy Sand” much because this sauce has a fairly grainy sandy texture to it.Its a wonderful sauce made up of
Such an easy recipe to put together:
- 2 Cups plain boiled rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 whole green onions,chopped and the white and green parts seperated
- 11/2 cups chopped baby corn,mushrooms,peppers,carrots
- 1 inch fresh ginger,finely chopped
- 1 large egg,lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Laksa fried rice sauce
- Heat oil in a large wok over very high heat.This is a key to any Chinese cooking.
- When the wok is smoking hot add a tablespoon of oil and swirl around the wok.
- Add the chopped ginger and fry for about a minute.
- Now add the white part of the onions and fry till fragrant.
- Next add the baby corn,peppers and carrots and fry till slightly tender.
- Put in the mushroom and stir fry for just a minute.
- Add the Laksa sauce and mix well.
- Now gently add in the rice and turn off the heat.
- Beat the egg a little and some chopped green onions to it.
- Add this egg mix to the wok and cook it like an omelet.Remove when cooked and chop into small pieces.
- Add the egg to the rice.