This is my first post in the New year and I promise an exciting one too.
The New year has begun well and my kitchen is buzzing with activity.But before I get into my culinary adventures I’d love to share the highlight of this year.
Well imagine my excitement when I was asked to do a cooking demo for Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana on their You tube channel.It was right in the beginning of Jan this year when Alyona Kapoor (Sanjeev’s wife) also a dear friend of mine asked me to send in two of my favorite recipes that I’d like to demonstrate.
Now Sanjeev Kapoor needs no introduction.An Indian Master chef with the ever popular cooking show Khana Khazana and now Food Food an Indian food and lifestyle channel owned by him.Do check him out on:
Yes of course I said,I’d be absolutely delighted to do so.
The two recipes that I thought I could show were a Quinoa Salad and the Sticky date Cake with toffee sauce.Well then very excitedly I sent off both the recipes.
D-day arrives-was I nervous? Well a tad bit I have to say.Now while I do run cooking workshops for Adults & kids,it’s quite different being in front of the camera…and to keep looking straight into it and talking all the time.
Anyways I was shown around the kitchen.I quickly made some mental notes as to where everything was.The ingredients were all lined up in front of me…
Lights,Camera and action….and I started of…Welcome to Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana…I’m Shailaja Desai and I ‘d love to share a wonderful recipe for a Sticky date cake and toffee sauce with you today.
The show went on smoothly I thought.Ofcourse when I look at the video I keep hearing Alyona in the background reminding me to modulate my tone and talk slowly and my husband who kept drawing a smiley face on his I-pad,hoping I’d smile more.Well points noted for the next time that I have to face the camera.
I certainly had a lovely time shooting this video in Sanjeev Kapoor’s kitchen and certainly hope I have many more opportunities.
Enjoy the video folks and do give this super easy recipe a try.I will upload the other video soon.Untill then cheers to another year of wonderful cooking.
- 225 grams dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 85 grams Butter (softened)
- 170 grams sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 170 grams Self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons Ovaltine
- 2 tablespoons Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C.
- Put the dates in a bowl with the soda and cover with 200 ml boiling water.
- Let this rest for about 5-9 minutes so as to soften the dates.
- Drain off the water and puree the dates in a food processor.
- Cream the butter and sugar till pale.
- Add in one egg at a time and mix well.
- Sieve the flour and cinnamon powder together and add to the above mixture.
- Stir in the ovaltine and mix well and add the grated ginger.
- Lastly fold in the yogurt and pureed dates.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased Bundt pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- 115 grams unsalted butter
- 115 grams brown sugar
- 140 grams double cream
- Mix the butter, sugar and double cream in a sauce pan.
- Heat over low heat till the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens slightly.
WOW! That sounds like a very eventful start for they year!
A person like you deserves this and much more!
Proud of you Shy!
Inshallah many more to come!
Thanks very much Arwa for your lovely comment and for dropping by…Yes it has been a great start to the year.Thanks for your wishes too and all best wishes to you as well:))
This is a treat times 3 for us Columbees ,dear Shailu:)…delicious dessert+ Shailu+Aly!!
Hope to see more of you and your creations!!
God bless xxx
You are a sweety…Such a lovely comment…Thanks for posting on my blog…Yes it was great fun doing this with Alyona…Do keep checking my blog for some fun recipes…Would always love your feedback…love and hugs:))
Wow Shy Amazing Achievement ….proof of the pudding…is in the cake
Jd..Thanks for all your love,support & encouragement:)
Amazing Shail ! Well done …. will just have to come there to try some ! Hugs!
Hey Chris…Thanx sweety…sure anytime:))
Love n Hugz