I’ve heard about it.My friends talk about it.I’ve read umpteen reviews,blogs and recipes on the benefits of it…bought it,stored it,gave it away and forgot all about it until last week,I saw it while shopping for my groceries.So this time I decided I must cook it.The results were a fresh,satisfying and a delicious salad.
Now you are probably wondering what all this fuss is about.Well its time for my kitchen to say hello to this wonderful grain called Quinoa(to be pronounced “Keen-wa”).I have to correct myself here it’s rightly classified as a seed and not really a grain.Quinon is gluten-free and power packed with goodies.High in fibre,loaded with vitamins and popular with vegetarians.You could use Quinoa in salads,casseroles and soups.
I’ve put together this simple and delicious salad here.It light and healthy.I’ve used fresh chopped tomatoes,chopped avocados,black olives and cucumbers.Feel free and add your favourite vegetables as well.
As I’ve said before turning to healthy choices is always an option.I’ve contemplating way too long on cooking Quinoa.We had this on the side with some steamed fish the other night.And I was quite pleased that I had discovered such a wonderful new salad.A nice nutty bite to it and very satisfying.I even enjoyed having the left over salad for lunch the next day.So yes would could make up a batch and keep it handy to have.
Tips on cooking Quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa under running water.(About 1 cup is good for 4-5 servings)
- Use 1 1/2 cups of water for every cup of quinoa.
- Bring to a boil. Then cover and let it simmer till all the water is absorbed.
- The Quinoa is cooked when the water is fully absorbed and the grain becomes translucent.
- Remove and let this cool by spreading it on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil.
- I’ve added chopped tomatoes,cucumbers,red onions,black olives and some avocado.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon(squeezed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You may even mix a bit of balsamic vinegar if you wish.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley.
Cheers to healthy cooking dear friends and I hope you enjoy making this Quinoa Salad.