I was overjoyed to be invited into the kitchen’s of the Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre, yet once again.This time it was for the Valentine’s Day event at the Lake View Cafe.In keeping with the theme,I was asked to provide some of my favourite recipes for Sundae’s.The idea being,getting diner’s at the restaurant to go ahead and make up their own creations for either themselves, their spouse or their friends. What a wonderful way of saying “Happy Valentines’s. Rhomesecrets is an initiative by the Renaissance in collaboration with SecretIndianrecipe to bring traditional Indian home flavours to life in a five-star hotel kitchen.It was indeed a great experience to have participated in the home chefs event and I certainly look forward to many such opportunities.
Here is an image of the decadent Brownie A la Mode that I whipped up..The event took place at the Hokey Pokey Ice-cream cart at the restaurant.The diner’s had a choice of making up Sundaes of their choice,pairing it with Brownie’s, assorted garnishes such as Blueberry Compote,Sour Cherries,Chocolate chips,Nuts and Fresh fruit too.Alternatively they could get their ice cream fix on the cold stone slab where multiple flavour’s could be combined and topped off with sprinkles and sauce’s of their choice.
Featured above is TV Celebrity Rubaina Dilaik and myself.I share my secret tip on how to add some oomph into her dessert for her sweet valentine.You may watch a video of this here:
The following is a recipe for the Sundae that was provided by Cookingwithshy to the Renaissance:
- 170 grams Butter
- 125 grams Chocolate chips( plus 50 grams for batter)
- 55 grams Cocoa powder
- 250 grams sugar
- 125 grams plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 90 grams chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Butter a 9″x9″ square baking pan.
- In a double boiler over low heat, melt butter and chocolate chips together and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- When the chocolate/butter mixture has cooled a little whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Note: it is important to cool the chocolate/butter mixture or the eggs will cook.
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients and whisk into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes
- Lay one portion of the Brownie on a flat dessert plate or a bowl.
- Scoop 1 serving of vanilla Ice-cream on top of the brownie
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce or salted caramel sauce
- Garnish with chopped walnut,cherries or heart-shaped red macaroons