Traditionally a Meatloaf calls for either ground beef or even mutton mince which works great too.I have been trying to cut back on using red meat and was looking for a leaner option for a meat loaf.Chicken mince is a great low-fat option for most pies and have experimented with it in a Shepherd’s pie as well.I was contemplating using it while experimenting with a meat loaf recipe.Now those of you have been following my journey,probably know that I’ve been involved with content creation for Masterchef Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khazana Youtube.It’s been an exhilarating experience indeed.
I choose to make up this chicken meat loaf as a recipe for a demo a few weeks ago.I had made this up a couple of times in my kitchen,hence was pretty confident of the outcome.The family too loved it,especially since it comes out really quite moist.I went on with the rest of the demo’s for the day and was pretty much done by lunchtime.Now Alyona Kapoor (Chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s wife) who is a dear friend of mine wanted to sample some of this when it was ready so I decided to take some over to her office for lunch.It was just then the Masterchef walked in and decided to have a bite of this himself.“Moist as ever and very good” is what Chef Sanjeev Kapoor commented on having a bite of this meatloaf.
I was extremely happy as I thought to myself,here is a recipe that has the Masterchef approval.The recipe is quite simple to follow and I’ve included a link for the You tube video should you wish to watch me make this up. Just perfect for a quick weekday dinner.The choice of swapping to a leaner mince made this classic recipe a healthier one too.
- Chicken Meat loaf: https://youtu.be/mrKavy0SGZI As demonstrated for Masterchef Sanjeev Kapoor You Tube Videos.
Chicken Meat Loaf
- 350 grams chicken Mince
- 1 slice bread (soaked in milk)
- 1 egg white (beaten)
- 1 small onion (chopped finely)
- 2-3 pods garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 small red or green capsicum (chopped finely)
- 1 small carrot (diced finely)
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pasta sauce or Tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Pre heat the Oven to 180C.
- Soak the slice of bread in the milk for 10 minutes and then squeeze out the milk.
- Mix the mince and the soaked bread well.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Sauté the onions and garlic till translucent.
- Add in the diced carrots and chopped peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Let the above cool completely.
- Add the vegetables to the mince
- Add in the Worcester sauce, oregano, salt, pepper and the beaten egg.
- Mix well.
- Lightly grease a loaf tin and add in the mixture.
- Pat gently and bake for about 35-40 minutes covered with aluminum foil and then un covered for 10 minutes.
- Cool and slice and pour some gravy over it.
Gravy for Chicken Loaf
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Corn flour
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until tender. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small cup; stir into the stock.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute, or until thickened.
Note: The above image for the meat loaf has a homemade BBQ sauce to go along with it.I have included the recipe for the gravy as shown in the video.