Breakfast is always the best time for something juicy, sweet and fresh – it just feels like the right way to open the day. There’s no right way, though, when it comes to choosing the fruit.
Well a lot is said about breakfast being the most important meal of the day, and while I’m not a huge breakfast sort of person, some fruits (especially berries), perhaps some oats and a strong cup of coffee is good to get me started for the day. My favorite way of making oats are soaking some in yogurt,overnight or what is popularly called a Bircher Muesli. The recipe being created by the Swiss physician Macmillan Bircher.
So what really are Overnight Oats:
This is essentially a method of making oats without cooking them. The oats ( traditional old fashioned oats) are usually soaked in a liquid such as milk, fruit juice or yogurt and refrigerated overnight. The soaking brings about a wonderful creamy texture to the oats, which then can be eaten with various fresh fruits, nuts, sweetened with honey or maple syrup. Chia seeds would add a definitive texture and creaminess to the overnight oats. I have used some Coconut Milk Vegan Yogurt ( Maison Riviera) which I picked up locally here in Toronto. The coconut flavours added an amazing twist of flavours.
The original Bircher recipe consists of the following ingredients:
- Whole Apples (including the skin)
- Nuts (usually Walnuts, almonds)
- Rolled oats (usually soaked in some water overnight)
- Lemon juice from half a lemon.
- Either cream and honey or sweetened condensed milk
The dish was prepared by mixing the cream and honey or condensed milk with the soaked oats and lemon juice and, while stirring, grating the whole apple into the mixture. This method prevented the apples from browning. The idea was to serve the dish fresh, immediately before any other dishes in the meal.
I have recreated a simpler version here by using some quick oats that have been soaked in some yogurt overnight. I have skipped the use of apples and have used some fresh berries and a splash of apple juice. The outcome was simply delicious and wholesome.This is best served chilled.
Recipe for 1 serving:
- 3 tablespoons Quick Oats
- 2 tablespoons Yogurt (Coconut Milk Vegan Yogurt)
- Dash of Oat Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3-4 strawberries (washed,hulled and chopped)
- Walnut halves ( a handful)
- Layer a glass or a bowl with the chopped strawberries or fruit of your choice.
- Soak the oats in the almond milk along with the apple juice and vegan yogurt for at least and hour. Best results if soaked overnight.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the oats.
- Drizzle the honey over the nuts.
- Best served chilled.
Breakfast needn’t be complicated anymore and what’s more that this recipe could work all year- round with substitution of any seasonal fruits! This Bircher Muesli is rather comforting and so delicious with a burst of flavourful fruits and nuts. I’m totally hooked onto this every morning!
Have a wonderful week ahead!